Thursday, February 10, 2011

Day 1 Post Fast - Some Thoughts and Breaking the Fast

Today's weight was 205.0 even, down 2 pounds since yesterday and down 44 pounds since the start of the fast.

The rest of yesterday was pretty uneventful. Well, with the exception of my husband's work equipment (very expensive manufacturing machinery) took a dive yesterday and they still didn't have it fixed at evening shift change. My husband kind of took it as a consequence of how greedy the company has been, pushing everyone to make more money and not being very ethical in their work practices.

I went to bed last night with some things on my mind. It was a temptation of the enemy to get me to dwelling on my problems and not on the Lord. I just had to pray and say, 'Lord, you are my source. I am relying on you, not my circumstances, not my flesh, not my bank account, not my husband's paycheck. Just you.' And the enemy fled. Praise the Lord!

I'll bet you were wondering if I jumped out of bed today and ate something! Nope. I actually stayed in bed and prayed for awhile. I have enjoyed that time alone with the Lord so much in the morning that I hope that I will be able to continue it.

The one thing that went through my mind over and over during the fast was the hymn "Sweet Hour of Prayer." Most of us don't even make time for a hurried five minutes of prayer even once a day, myself being guilty as charged. Think of how much power we lack as a church, as individuals, without bowing before the throne of grace and asking for God's help on a regular basis. We are too self sufficient, we are too caught up in the cares of this world. God is just an aside, and I'm also including some holiness folks. I was also in this boat, so I am pointing the guilty finger at myself too.

My breakfast post fast was a scrambled egg with half an avocado and some ice cold water. It was so good! I really enjoyed it and I didn't even finish the last couple of bites.


Here are the lyrics to Sweet Hour of Prayer. I had never heard the last verse before now, but I really like it too.

Sweet hour of prayer! sweet hour of prayer!
That calls me from a world of care,
And bids me at my Father’s throne
Make all my wants and wishes known.
In seasons of distress and grief,
My soul has often found relief
And oft escaped the tempter’s snare
By thy return, sweet hour of prayer!

Sweet hour of prayer! sweet hour of prayer!
The joys I feel, the bliss I share,
Of those whose anxious spirits burn
With strong desires for thy return!
With such I hasten to the place
Where God my Savior shows His face,
And gladly take my station there,
And wait for thee, sweet hour of prayer!

Sweet hour of prayer! sweet hour of prayer!
Thy wings shall my petition bear
To Him whose truth and faithfulness
Engage the waiting soul to bless.
And since He bids me seek His face,
Believe His Word and trust His grace,
I’ll cast on Him my every care,
And wait for thee, sweet hour of prayer!

Sweet hour of prayer! sweet hour of prayer!
May I thy consolation share,
Till, from Mount Pisgah’s lofty height,
I view my home and take my flight:
This robe of flesh I’ll drop and rise
To seize the everlasting prize;
And shout, while passing through the air,
“Farewell, farewell, sweet hour of prayer!”

-William Walford

No comments:

Post a Comment