Saturday, January 1, 2011

Introduction

Last Thursday night at our midweek church service, our pastor called a fast for the new year. This was nothing unusual since we have done these for the past five years. However, I was not really geared up for such a thing and it threw me off guard.

When I went home, I prayed about what I should do. I already eat on a restricted low carb plan and was planning on concentrating on that, especially since my diabetic husband recently joined my eating plan. But God had other plans.

I found a YouTube user, aaroncohen, who did three 40 day water fasts back to back, only breaking her fast for Passover and Pentecost feasts. Not only did she spiritually grow stronger, she also had a dramatic physical change. She lost 100 pounds over the fast and also revived her health.

I am a Sunday school teacher and three weeks ago my lesson was on Jesus' fasting and his temptation by Satan. I made a comment to my kids about how I couldn't do anything like a 40 day fast like Jesus did, and the Lord said, 'not so fast!' I didn't understand at the time what was going on. I had no intentions of doing a fast in the near future.

My fasting background includes a few short 3 day water only fasts and several longer 21 day fasts which were Daniel fasts, or vegetables, legumes and water only.  My husband has approved of my longer and more strict fasting due to the fact that he can't physically fast due to his diabetes, and he also received confirmation from the Lord that it was his will that I fast.

I have a list of 40 things which I will be praying over during the next 40 days. All are very urgent needs, both personally and in the lives my extended family and church family.  I am going to try to remain anonymous as much as I can since I do not want to boast of this endeavor. If there is any boasting, let it be a boasting of the Lord and his power to set people free from bondage and breaking every yoke. (Isaiah 58) 

The following verse is the title of this blog and the one that the Lord has pressed on my mind as He led me to do this fast:
Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that believeth on me, the works that I do shall he do also; and greater [works] than these shall he do; because I go unto my Father. John 14:12

Disclosure: I will be drinking plain water every day, as much as I want, and will also be taking two multivitamin supplements, due to my husband's urging. I am also about 100 pounds overweight so there are plenty of fat stores to supply energy to my body during the fast.

The fast started on January 1, 2011 and I plan on breaking the fast on February 10, 2011. I plan on updating daily, if not more frequently.

1 comment:

  1. Hello! I know that this is an old post but your testimony gives me courage to start my 40 day water fast that God has been urging me to do.

    ReplyDelete